Euotelel a Klingil a Debel Belau (Palau National Marine Sanctuary)
On January 1, 2020, the Palau National Marine Sanctuary (PNMS) went into effect, closing 80% of Palau’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) to all forms of extractive activities including all types of fishing. Referred to in Palauan as Euotelel a Klingil a Debel Belau, the PNMS is among the world’s biggest marine protected areas. The remaining 20% of Palau’s EEZ is designated as a Domestic Fishing Zone (DFZ) that will support food security and bringing more economic benefits to the people of Palau.
PNMS Map – Simplified
The Palau International Coral Reef Center (PICRC), with the passage of Republic of Palau Public Law (RPPL) 10-35, was mandated with the administration of PNMS and coordination of research, outreach and education activities. PICRC is committed to working towards the successful administration of the PNMS, for the benefit of current and future generations of Palau.
To read more about the “Palau National Marine Sanctuary (PNMS) Act Overview,” click HERE.
“Palau’s National Marine Sanctuary: Managing Ocean Change and Supporting Food Security; Report of an Expert Working Group Convened by PICRC and COS”
The Palau International Coral Reef Center, in January 2019, began a working partnership with the Stanford Center for Ocean Solutions to provide essential data and information on the current state of affairs for the PNMS, and the latest relevant research in the fields of fisheries, socio-economics, and ecology. A report, entitled “Palau’s National Marine Sanctuary: Managing Ocean Change and Supporting Food Security; Report of an Expert Working Group Convened by PICRC and COS,” was published in December 2019. It is accessible below, along with an executive summary, appendices, and the PNMS Science Plan.
- Full Report
- Executive Summary
- Appendix A: Palau’s Maritime Governance Overview
- Appendix B: Towards Strengthening Palau’s Domestic Fishery Sector
- Appendix C: Science, Monitoring, and Evaluation: Operationalizing the PNMS Policies
- Appendix D: PNMS Science Plan Summary
- Science Plan
Interested individuals may also read about the report and the working group on the Stanford Center for Ocean Solutions website here.
Sister Sanctuary: The National Marine Sanctuary of American Samoa
On September 22, 2020, a special partnership was formed: the Palau National Marine Sanctuary (PNMS), and the National Marine Sanctuary of American Samoa (NMSAS) became Sister Sanctuaries. This agreement, solidified by the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Palau International Coral Reef Center (PICRC), the administrator of the PNMS, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the administrator of NMSAS.
The purpose of the Sister Sanctuary partnership is to strengthen partnership between small island states seeking to protect large areas of their oceans, as well as facilitate the exchange of ideas, personnel, and resources.
National Marine Sanctuary of American Samoa official website: Visit here
MOU between PICRC and NOAA: Visit here
Updates on the PNMS
Since January 1, 2020, work on the Palau National Marine Sanctuary for its successful implementation continues. See news articles and press releases below which document the progress.